Last Updated on March 17, 2023
- You can bring containers of hair mousse that are 3.4 oz or less on a plane in carry-on luggage
- Although mousse exits the can as a foam inside it is a liquid and so the TSA liquids rule applies
- Hair mousse in hand luggage must be packed inside your one quart size bag
- You can pack canisters of hair mousse up to 18 oz in checked baggage
Hair Mousse TSA Rules
The Transportation Security Administration doesn’t specifically mention hair mousse on their website.
I checked Twitter to find out if you can bring mousse through the airport security checkpoint. Josiah had already asked the question:
Hair mousse is an aerosol and is considered to be a liquid by the TSA. It’s foam when it comes out the container but it’s liquid inside the container.
This means it must follow the TSA liquids rules a.k.a. the 3-1-1 rule.
So you can only bring hair mousse in containers that are 3.4 ounces or smaller in your carry-on luggage.
Travel-size hair mousse can be packed inside your quart-sized plastic bag with your other toiletries.
This TRESemme hair mousse is only 2 oz and a good size for travel:
Another option might be to buy hair mousse at the airport after you have cleared airport security.
You can also pack hair mousse in checked luggage.
Aerosol cans are sometimes prohibited from checked luggage but because hair mousse is a toiletry (used on your skin) it’s an exception to the rule.
The maximum size of a hair mousse container is 18 oz and most mousse products are under this limit.
The downside could be if your checked baggage is lost or delayed then you might not have your mousse with you when you arrive. If you have space in your toiletries bag a small travel size hair mousse is a safer option.
Did This Page Help You?
You Might Also Like
- Can you bring shaving cream on a plane?
- Can you bring aerosols on a plane?
- Can you bring hair gel on a plane?
- Can you bring a hair dryer on a plane?
- Can you bring hairspray on a plane?